Tuesday, November 29, 2011

One last Thanksgiving thanks

My girls proclaimed this Thanksgiving to be the best we ever had. I thought it was too. I could not have felt more relaxed. Charlotte spent the day in her pajamas, and when I insisted she change, she put fresh ones on. We snacked, and the girls had their sparkling grape juice in champagne flutes, which always makes things taste so much better. (that's what they said.)




The bird was done way ahead of schedule. I had made my stuffing the night before, and opted not to stuff it in the turkey, because I saw on TV that by the time your turkey is perfectly roasted, your stuffing is not the right temperature, and I couldn't get that out of my mind. So I baked it, in a buttered dish. And my gravy was so good. I put a splash of balsamic vinegar in it, and chopped sage, and my roux was perfect. Roasted brussel sprouts, and mashed potatoes with cheese and heavy cream added to them were beyond words.








My pie was identical to the photo in the magazine where I got the recipe. Identical! And the taste was heavenly. A whole stick of butter and a cup of brown sugar was melted together into the most sinful gloppy glop, and the crust went ON TOP of that. I loved it. The girls ate the pumpkin pie. I had fun peeling apples with them, though.








Molly waited patiently for her dessert. She kept saying Happy Thanksgiving in her garbled, stuffy nosed, voice. She had a 103 degree fever. She didn't have much dinner, but insisted on ice cream on her slice of pie.

I thought about our Thanksgiving today, because on Wednesday, when the girls got home from school, we never went through their book bags. I was going to do it that evening, but I never got around to it.

In Olivia's bag, was a turkey, with bright, crayon colored feathers. On each feather, she wrote what she was thankful for. I finally went through her folder last night. I felt sad that I hadn't seen it earlier. One of those, "I suck so badly as a mother" moments.

She wrote:
I'm thankful for my health because a lot of people are sick in the hospital.
I'm thankful for my shoes because some people don't have any shoes.
I'm thankful for my family because they are loving and caring, and I'm thankful for that.
I'm thankful for my warm cozy bed because most people don't have that.
I'm thankful for my clothes because they are nice and clean and some people are poor and don't have nice clean clothes like you and me.
I'm thankful for the roof over my head because lot's of people don't have that, and we should be thankful for that.
I'm thankful for food because they make me healthy and I'm thankful for that.

Me too, Liv.

No comments:

Post a Comment