Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Character

Last week, I had a chance to meet with a group of ladies who refer to themselves simply as "the Group". There is no catchy name, but a lack therof, hence the name they refer to themselves as.

 One of the members contacted me, wanting to help out my neighbor, who I had written about here in this space, just a few weeks ago. He has had a heart pump implanted into his own heart. An artificial way, to keep his own failing heart going, until a human heart can be matched for him. He is a veteran, and he and his wife are just trying to keep a roof over their heads, and  two other generations, who happen to live with them. "The Group", along with many people, right here in our own community, reached out, with not just kind words, but into their own wallets, to assist this family. The outpouring was really beautiful, and to say that the family is thankful, would be an understatement.

"The Group" really interested me. Their sole purpose is to help out someone, locally, and they do so anonymously. They don't want their names involved, at all. They want to simply assist  someone in need here in our community, without the recipient ever knowing. Help without thanks. It seemed so pure, I thought. So selfless. And really, it is.

Since meeting with these ladies, I have thought a lot about what I can do. Most days, I feel I can do only for the people here with me. My girls, and my husband. We live hand to mouth, and most weeks, I am just happy that my groceries stretch to the next paycheck. David and I sometimes talk about all of the people we would help if we "had the money". All the family we would take care of. The charities we would love to donate to. But it always seems to be so large scale. Like it should take lots of money to lend someone a hand. And really, it doesn't.

A gift card for groceries for a family is huge. Take it from one who has been the recipient of one. It is amazing! Small little things that alone seem like a pebble in the ocean, but combined, become so much more. "The Group" takes money from it's members, that would otherwise be spent on lunches out, or other activities, and pools it's other resources, and asks for donations, all in the name of helping. They simply passed me a sealed envelope which I hand delivered to my neighbors, and that was that.

It was that easy. It should be that easy.  Compassion, and empathy should be the only option rather than looking away when you see someone in distress, thinking you can't help. Wouldn't it be a wonderful if we all extended a hand, a hand to help, instead of turning our backs, despite our own circumstances? Wouldn't it be great to help out the struggling family that you see everyday, with the help of others combined, and do so without saying a word?

"Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking".

 -J.C. Watts

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way sometimes. Last year, when my girl scouts did that food drive, I got to see first hand that a little bit, even if you can only give a can of beans, can go a long way if everyone pitches in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow recipient of said good deeds, I absolutely LOVE these stories. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete