Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Feeding time at the zoo

So far, summer vacation has been somewhat peaceful. I haven't had to raise my voice that much, and it hasn't yet reached the volume where it actually hurts my throat, so I feel, so far so good. I don't want to jinx it by saying this, and most likely, in a few weeks, I will definitely be writing something different here, but I feel my attitude this summer is one of calm, and tolerance.

 Maybe I should call it fight, or flight parenting. Or, the best defense is a good offense mothering. We just have to get through the next couple of months, all here together, still liking one another for the most part, and maybe throw in a few good childhood memories to boot.

The need for food is astonishing, however. It goes on all day. I have limited snacks to fruit, and in one day, an entire bag of peaches, and one bunch of bananas were devoured. Blueberries and blackberries don't stand a chance around here. If the girls even catch the scent of bread on the breeze, they come running. Any sort of plastic bag sounds rustling in the kitchen sends them into a fever pitch. They are like detectives. "What are you doing Mom?" "What was that sound?"

Our grocery bill is more costly this time of year. I don't like giving them macaroni and cheese for lunch, but sometimes, it is just more cost effective. I find myself purchasing more bread, and milk and juice this time of year. I literally clean up from breakfast, and they are begging for a snack. I get in more face offs with them, refusing to feed them another bite until the next meal, because I have a count on what we have, and I ration it out. I have to, or I will be at the store every day. It is getting ridiculous. I get that they are all growing girls, but it is really too much some days. Charlotte is the skinniest little thing you have ever laid eyes on. I honestly do not know where she puts it! I refuse to believe their cries of hunger when they have just eaten a turkey sandwich.

The numbers of kids who were on free lunch at our area schools this past year were at numbers never before seen. I know what a stretch it is for my own family having to feed the kids. We go without other things because the cost of food is so high. But what about all of those kids depending on free breakfast and lunch at school? What happens to them these long summer months?

I read about something amazing the other day. It is a summer program that the East Stroudsburg Area School District is running. This summer, beginning June 11, 2012, the J M Hill Elementary School will have both breakfast and lunch available to children up to and including age 18.

This program is open to anyone even if your child does not attend East Stroudsburg Area School District.

Both breakfast and lunch are offered Monday through Friday (except July 4th). Breakfast is served from 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM. Lunch is served from 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM.



There is no charge for either the breakfast or lunch meal. Go to www.esasd.net for more information.
I have a feeling this amazing program is going to help a lot of families get through the long summer months, and maybe bring some calm to some overly stressed parents, who are struggling just to pay for groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment