Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Luck

We received a notice from our electric company, that unless we come up with $800.00 by Friday, (not gonna happen) they will shut our electric off. David's car needs over $600.00 in repairs and we do not have that either. To say that I am feeling down, would be putting it mildly. Panicked would be the word that more closely describes my feelings. Sometimes, I imagine myself walking and coming across a brown paper bag filled with money. Enough money to just pay our bills. One time, when we were at a toll, about to go over a bridge, I looked out the window, and saw a ten dollar bill on the ground. We were just about to go onto the GW bridge. I got out of the car, and picked it up. I couldn't believe my luck. Our luck. Later that day, we paid for groceries, in one of those self checkout lanes, and left the change in the receptacle. It was almost ten dollars. In one hand, out the other.
Today, I was at the bus stop, feeling down. A Jamaiican lady, whose name I cannot remember, but has such a soothing way about her, came over to my car. She handed me some plastic bags filled with apples, and potatoes, and onions. She said that the food pantry at her church had too much, and before things spoiled, she needed to get rid of some things. It was like a pat on the back.
Tonight, we will feast like kings. Roasted chicken, roasted potatoes with garlic, lemon and oregano, and a side of broccoli. Maybe, even an apple crisp. While the lights are still on, I shall pretend we are OK. And we will be. Fingers and toes crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment